Are you on a path to becoming a counselor or marriage and family therapist?
Alamo Heights Counseling can help.
Consider doing your practicum here! We offer:
- One-to-one mentorship with an experienced LPC or LMFT
- Opportunities for observation of a number of different clinicians with various approaches and theoretical models
- Clients from all walks of life
- Chances to work with Individual, Couples, Families, and Children
- A wide variety of scheduling options
- Both in-person and telehealth options for seeing clients
- Access to an industry-leading EHR program for an authentic practice experience
- A welcoming, non-threatening environment
- Meaningful experiences related to administrative work that you can apply to your future practice
- Rigorous review of ethics codes
- A thorough understanding of the interplay between mental health treatment and the health insurance industry
- Real-world experience for those who desire to run their own practice some day
- Opportunities to join our team permanently
Alamo Heights Counseling is an approved practicum site for
Our Lady of the Lake University, Texas A&M San Antonio, and Northwestern University
Practicum students are master’s degree level students who are nearly finished with their program. They possess a bachelor’s degree in a related mental-health field and are usually in their final or penultimate semester of their master’s program. Masters programs that lead to licensure in mental health fields are rigorous programs of 60 credits or more—nearly twice the credit hours of master’s degrees in many other fields.
Practicum students at Alamo Heights Counseling are under the supervision of licensed professionals at Alamo Heights Counseling as well as enrolled in a practicum course at the university and required to meet regularly with university faculty. Practicum students are not yet licensed to practice without supervision but have already completed a related bachelor’s degree and are within a year of graduation from a 60-credit hour master’s degree program that will lead to a degree and eligibility for licensure. Many students have completed a prior practicum in their university’s community counseling center program on campus. Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists supervising OLLU practicum students at Alamo Heights Counseling include Elihennette Gonzalez Flores, LMFT and Bianca Vincent, LMFT-S, LPC, both of whom are graduates of the OLLU programs themselves. Practicum students from Northwestern are supervised by Cheryl Shulter, LPC-S or Lauri Berkman, LPC-S.
Potential clients wishing to receive no-cost or low-cost services from an OLLU practicum student under the supervision of Elihennette or Bianca may contact the Alamo Heights Counseling office at 210-822-2600. Be sure to mention that you would like to schedule with a practicum student during your first phone call to our office so that you can be matched properly.
*Questions about the Commission on Accreditation of Marriage and Family Therapy Education Accredited MFT program at Our Lady of the Lake should be addressed to the university directly.
If you are a student at one of the universities listed and would like to complete your practicum(s) at Alamo Heights Counseling, please submit, via email to the following:
1) your resume
2) a copy of your student professional liability insurance facesheet,
3) as well as any application documents you have received from your university
4) a professional statement indicating your theoretical orientation and your plans for after you complete your program.
Students of other programs at other universities may also be eligible for practicums and internships at Alamo Heights Counseling. Please feel free to contact our offices or inquire at your university.